“Thank you again for allowing me to share in such a wonderful program for the community. It was a beautiful day, but observing the generosity and kindness of some people along with gratefulness from others, I couldn’t imagine a more wonderful afternoon.” – SKH First-Time Volunteer
What is Sack Kids Hunger?
Sack Kids Hunger started in November/2010 in response to the needs of children who receive breakfast and lunch during the school week, but have limited resources on weekends.
Every Saturday from noon to 2:00 pm, volunteers gather at Buford First United Methodist Church to prepare and distribute sack lunches to children in our community and to also distribute vegetables from our Tree of Life Garden.
Who participates in Sack Kids Hunger?
The Sack Kids Hunger ministry is for the entire community. We receive volunteers and resources from the people of Buford First UMC as well as other churches, businesses, groups, and organizations in and around Buford.
For information on volunteer dates that are available or for information on how your group or organization can help, contact Sack Kids Hunger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I help?
Sack Kids Hunger can always use your prayers that God will continue to bless this ministry, those who receive and those who give. Other ways you can help include:
- VOLUNTEERS. We are always in need of volunteers to assist with the distribution of the sack lunches from noon to 2 pm every Saturday. We ask that volunteers arrive at 11:30 am to help setup the distribution area. You can schedule a day to volunteer months ahead of time. If you are interested then please contact Sack Kids Hunger for available dates or you can sign-up online through SignUp Genius (go to http://www.signupgenius.com/, click the “FIND A SIGNUP” button, and search under the email address email@example.com).
- FOOD. This ministry is all about distributing food to those who need it, so food donations are always welcome. We can always use these items (all in single serving packages):
- Individual serving sizes of soup, ravioli, or mac & cheese
- Chips, cheese or peanut butter crackers in single serving packages
- Individual boxes of cereal and granola bars
- Single serving cups of fruit or apple sauce.
- Fresh fruit
- MONEY. Monetary donations are always welcome, and please note that ALL monetary donations will ALWAYS go directly to the purchase of food. Donations can come from anyone and from anywhere … individuals, groups, even companies and organizations.
- PRAYERS and ENCOURAGEMENT.
- SPREAD THE WORD. Let your friends, neighbors and co-workers know about what Sack Kids Hunger is doing
- EMAIL. Add your address to our e-newsletter list to stay updated.
Receipts for items purchased for Sack Kids Hunger can be submitted to the BFUMC church treasurer as an “in kind donation” for tax credit. No reimbursements can be made without prior agreement with the Sack Kids Hunger coordinator. For more information about Sack Kids Hunger or to contact us to let us know you’d like to help in any way with this ministry, please contact Sack Kids Hunger Coordinator Mike Casper at firstname.lastname@example.org.