“Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.” Mark 10:14
The Children’s Ministry at Buford First includes programs for children ages birth through 5th grade. For more information, check out the sections below or contact Susan Rosenthal, our Director of Children & Family Ministry, at Children.Director@bufordfirstumc.org.
The Children’s Nursery at Buford First UMC is a loving and safe place where children ages birth to 35 months can play and learn about Jesus. We have separate play areas for infants and toddlers and dedicated workers and volunteers who truly care for our youngest members. Our goal is to “teach children what faith feels like through being nurtured by trusted examples of faithful living”.
If you are a visitor to the Nursery and would like additional information, please stop in anytime and a friendly face will be there to answer your questions.
The Children’s Ministry’s at Buford First provides a fun and safe environment where children will begin a life long relationship with Jesus Christ and will learn about His love through scripture, activities, prayer, praise and music. Join us on Sunday mornings to discover all the wonderful things we have to offer!
Children’s Sunday School
Buford First’s Children’s Sunday School classes are based on the Grow, Proclaim, Serve! curriculum. Through this curriculum, children will grow together through comprehensive Bible study, application of Bible lessons to everyday discipleship, and a variety of age-appropriate activities.
- 10:00 am (Children’s Sunday School) – Join us for Sunday School at 10:00 am every Sunday for a fun and exciting time. We have five age-based classes for children ages 3 through 5th grade.
Children and Worship
All of our children’s worship programs use the Grow, Proclaim, Serve! curriculum.
- 8:45 am Worship Service (Children’s Moment) – During the worship service, children ages 3 through 5th grade are welcome to come to the altar for the Children’s Moment. Following the Children’s Moment, children will be given a worship bag and will return to sit with their family for the remainder of the worship service. The goody bag will contain things to help them follow the sermon and help them feel a part of the service.
- 11:00 am (Sunshine Church) – Preschoolers (3 years through Pre-K) may be dropped off before the worship service in Room 105 for a time of children’s worship and activities.
- 11:00 am Worship Service (Children’s Moment) – Children in Kindergarten through 5th grade join the congregation for the beginning of our worship service. About 15 minutes into the service, these children come down to the front area of the sanctuary for the Children’s Moment. Then, after the Children’s Moment, the children are then dismissed to Room 203 for Children’s Church, a time of children’s activities and learning, and are then picked up there after the service. Please note that on Communion Sundays (the first Sunday of each month) we will still have the Children’s Moment during the service. However, we feel that it is important for our children to participate in Communion, so we not have Children’s Church. We WILL, however, continue to offer Sunshine Church and Nursery as we normally do. The K-5th children will be provided some activity packets in the Narthex on those Sundays in order to help occupy their time during the service.
Music & Christian Education
G.L.O.W. is Buford First’s children’s music and Christian education program for children age 3 through 5th grade. The program runs during the school year (September-April) on Sunday evenings from 5:30 to 6:30 pm.
To make pick-up time more convenient for parents who have children in both Youth (which ends at 7:00) and G.L.O.W. (which ends at 6:30), we will have a time of games, crafts, and recreation for G.L.O.W. children from 6:30 to 7:00 pm. Also, this recreation time is not limited to those children with siblings in youth as any child that participates in G.L.O.W. is welcome to participate but is not required to stay.
For more information on G.L.O.W., contact Mark Ridings, our Director of Music and the Arts, at Music@bufordfirstumc.org.
G.L.O.W. follows the Growing in Grace curriculum. This curriculum is designed for children’s church music and is written by music educators who have experience in both classroom teaching and church music. It emphasizes the core values of faith development, worship, music, and Jesus is Lord. Growing in Grace is age-appropriate, thematic, and interactive. Lessons include songs, activities and games, colorful visuals, hymns, and weekly devotionals.
G.L.O.W. Children’s Choir
The G.L.O.W. Children’s Choir is made up of three groups:
- Angelus Choir: 3-4 year olds
- Cherub Choir: K-2nd graders
- Junior Choir: 3rd-5th graders
Each December, Buford First children age 3 to 5th grade perform a Christmas music program learned throughout the Fall on Sunday nights at G.L.O.W. The children also perform a concert in the Spring where they showcase several of the songs learned throughout the year.
The three G.L.O.W. Children’s Choirs will also occasionally sing at our worship services and are very important to our worship experience at Buford First.
Buford First offers several annual events that teach the word of God and love of Jesus to our children in enthusiastic, fun, and engaging ways. A brief overview of these events is listed below. For more information, please contact Susan Rosenthal at Children.Director@BufordFirstUMC.org.
Easter Egg Hunt
Each Spring, Buford First organizes an Easter Egg Hunt for the children of the church. The hunt is designed so that there are different hunting areas for various age groups.
We also have other activities such as the reading of the Easter story, several fun prizes, and a visit from the Easter Bunny himself (parents and loved ones … bring your camera)!
Vacation Bible School
Each Summer, the Children’s Ministry at Buford First plans an amazing Vacation Bible School for the children of Buford First and anyone else in the community that wants to attend.
Each Fall, Buford First organizes a Fall Festival that is open to the entire community. This event has something for everyone and is a great way for the entire family to spend time together. Here are some of the fun things we plan each year to make this such a fun and exciting time for everyone:
- Trunk or Treat
- Costume Parade and Contest (infant to 5th grade)
- Cake Walk
- S’mores tent
- Hayrides through downtown Buford
- Moon bounce for youngsters to enjoy
- Carnival games and prizes