“Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.” Mark 10:14
The Children’s Ministry at Buford First includes programs for children ages birth through 5th grade. For more information, check out the sections below or contact Susan Rosenthal, our Director of Children & Family Ministry, at Children.Director@bufordfirstumc.org.
The Children’s Nursery at Buford First UMC is a loving and safe place where children ages birth to 35 months can play and learn about Jesus. We have dedicated workers and volunteers who truly care for our youngest members. Our goal is to “teach children what faith feels like through being nurtured by trusted examples of faithful living”.
If you are a visitor to the Nursery and would like additional information, please stop in room 202 in the Christian Life Center anytime and a friendly face will be there to answer your questions.
The Children’s Ministry’s at Buford First provides a fun and safe environment where children will begin a life long relationship with Jesus Christ and will learn about His love through scripture, activities, prayer, praise and music. Join us on Sunday mornings to discover all the wonderful things we have to offer!
Children’s Sunday School
Buford First’s Children’s Sunday School classes are based on the Grow, Proclaim, Serve!
curriculum. Through this curriculum, children will grow together through comprehensive Bible study, application of Bible lessons to everyday discipleship, and a variety of age-appropriate activities.
- 10:00 am (Children’s Sunday School) – Join us for Sunday School at 10:00 am every Sunday for a fun and exciting time. We have five age-based classes for children ages 3 through 5th grade. (3 & 4 year old class, K-1 st grade, 2 nd & 3 rd grade, 4 th & 5 th grade)
- Children of all ages may also attend our RISE contemporary worship at 9:45 if they choose to.
Children and Worship
the Christian Life Center.
- 8:30 a.m. Worship Service (Children’s Moment) – During the worship service, children ages 3 through 3 rd grade are welcome to come to the altar for the Children’s Moment. Following the Children’s Moment, children will be given a worship bag and will return to sit with their family for the remainder of the worship service. The worship bag will contain things to help them follow the sermon and help them feel a part of the service.
- 11:00 a.m. (Sunshine Church) – Preschoolers (3 years through Pre-K) are invited to come
to room 203 before the worship service for a time of children’s worship and activities.
- 11:00 a.m. Worship Service (Children’s Moment) – Children in Kindergarten through 5th grade join the congregation for the beginning of our worship service. The children are invited to come down to the front area of the sanctuary for the Children’s Moment. Then, after the Children’s Moment, the children are then dismissed to Room 201 for Children’s Church, a time of children’s activities and learning, and are then picked up there after the service. Please note that on Communion Sundays (the first Sunday of each month) we will have the Children’s Moment and depart to Children’s Church for a period of time, then we will return to the Sanctuary to the 2 nd and 3 rd pews so that the children can join their parents for Communion. Our 4 th and 5 th graders are all invited to join the “Buddy Program” which is a part of our Children’s Church where they are paired with younger children to help them with the planned lesson, craft, or activity. 4 th and 5 th graders may also stay in the service with their parents if they choose to.
Music & Christian Education
G.L.O.W. is Buford First’s children’s music and Christian education program for children age 3 through 5th grade. The program runs during the school year (August-April) on Sunday evenings from 5:30 to 7:00 pm.
G.L.O.W. follows the Growing in Grace curriculum. This curriculum is designed for children’s church
music and is written by music educators who have experience in both classroom teaching and church music. It emphasizes the core values of faith development, worship, music, and Jesus is Lord. Growing in Grace is age-appropriate, thematic, and interactive. Lessons include songs, activities and games, colorful visuals, and hymns. Children may also work on costume and set design and choreography.
G.L.O.W. Children’s Choir
The G.L.O.W. Children’s Choir is made up of three groups:
- Pre K Choir: 3-4 year olds
- Middle Choir: K-2nd graders
- Junior Choir: 3rd-5th graders
Each December, Buford First children age 3 to 5th grade perform a Christmas music program learned throughout the Fall on Sunday nights at G.L.O.W. The children also perform a concert in the Spring where they showcase several of the songs learned throughout the year.
The three G.L.O.W. Children’s Choirs will also occasionally sing at our worship services and are very important to our worship experience at Buford First.
For more information on G.L.O.W., our Director of Music and the Arts, at Music@bufordfirstumc.org
Buford First offers several annual events that teach the word of God and love of Jesus to our children in
enthusiastic, fun, and engaging ways. A brief overview of these events is listed below. For more information, please contact Susan Rosenthal at Children.Director@BufordFirstUMC.org.
Easter Egg Hunt
Each Spring, Buford First organizes an Easter Egg Hunt for the children of the church. The hunt is designed so that
there are different hunting areas for various age groups. We also have other activities such as the reading of the Easter story, several fun prizes, and a visit from the Easter
Bunny himself (parents and loved ones … bring your camera)!
Vacation Bible School
Each Summer, the Children’s Ministry at Buford First plans an amazing Vacation Bible School for the children of Buford First and anyone else in the community that wants to attend. Children ages 3 to 5 th grade may attend.
Each Fall, Buford First organizes a Fall Festival that is open to the entire community. This event has something for
everyone and is a great way for the entire family to spend time together. Here are some of the fun things we plan
each year to make this such a fun and exciting time for everyone:
- Trunk or Treat
- Costume Parade and Contest (infant to 5th grade)
- Cake Walk
- S’mores tent
- Hayrides through downtown Buford
- Music from our RISE Praise Band