About Us | Church History
The Buford United Methodist Church was organized August 19, 1871 as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, meeting first in the unfloored log cabin which also housed the first school. The Methodist Church was the first church organized in the community – a full year before Buford was incorporated as a town.
The Congregation soon constructed a white frame building on Church Street as originally located near what is now Bell Street. This was the Church’s home until 1894 when a brick sanctuary was constructed on the public square on what is now Scott Street, next to the present city hall.
This structure we are in, on the corner of Main and Hill Streets, is the Church’s fourth home. It was built in 1926 on property donated by the Bona Allen family. Victor Allen, one of the Allen brothers, had his personal architect design the building and prepare the blueprints. The sanctuary is noted for its near-perfect acoustics. Bona Allen, Jr. donated the sanctuary’s grand piano, which is of fine cherry.
In the narthex are two plaques, one honoring those from this Church who served in World War II, and a second which lists those who contributed toward the pipe organ which was dedicated January 17, 1982 in memory of Dr. Harry Hutchins and in honor of Mrs. Mary Benson, church organist for some 30 years. This pipe organ is identical to the one in the Radio City Music Hall. It is probably the largest pure pipe organ in the county, with 20 ranks of pipes.
The pulpit furniture – all matching pieces – came with the new building. The present pews in the auditorium were installed about 1970, replacing those originally installed in the building. The pews in the balcony are from the old church in the square on Scott Street. The baptismal font was given in 1974 by Helen Schrick in memory of her mother, Mrs. W. A. Truehart.
As in most of the older churches, there are several examples of Christian symbolism incorporated into the interior. The cross, of course, is the principal Christian symbol, the sacred emblem of the Christian faith, representing Christ and faith in Him. The most common cross is the Latin cross, as the large wooden cross centered over the choir, back of the pulpit. Also above the choir on either side of the wooden cross are two shields – the shields of faith. Each shield has on it a small cross.
A Bright Future at Buford First
Each Fall, we celebrate the founding of Buford First UMC with an eye to our future with a fun and festive Annual Homecoming Celebration.
Along with our current sanctuary and buildings located in downtown Buford, we also own 51 acres of land (known as our Old Hamilton Mill Road Church Property) about a mile away. We regularly use this land and its facilities for numerous church activities throughout the year. A Building Committee is also in place that has been charged with coming up with plans for a Family Life Center and sanctuary to be built on this site.
Buford First United Methodist Church is proud to be a church of worship, fellowship, and service. We offer opportunity for spiritual growth through our Children’s Ministry that includes our 4 day a week Preschool, Student Ministry, Adult Ministry, Music Ministry, Missions, and much more.